Great Place to Work is a framework that gives every employee an opportunity to contribute towards a culture that truly does make Avon a great place to work. The framework comprises five key areas: Recognition, Communication, Wellbeing, Community and Training and Development.
Recognition in 2019
We look to motivate our employees through appropriate recognition and reward programmes. We believe everyone deserves to be recognised when they achieve something special, we always strive to show our support and appreciation for employee achievements.
What we do
- Employees can nominate colleagues whom they believe embody our CREED values.
- Quarterly and annual winners selected from the monthly nominations.
- Long service awards are a way for us to demonstrate our appreciation to those that have reached significant milestones. 105 awards have been given to employees this year.
- Our 2018 annual site winners were announced in September (pictured).
- In total we have celebrated 90 members of staff who have achieved a long service milestone
- Melksham celebrated the huge achievement of shipping the first MCM100 order with a BBQ.
- Belcamp employee picnic.
Communication in 2019
Employee engagement is critical to our success and effective communication throughout the business is vital in achieving this. We listen to employees and strive for continuous improvement; through frequent events, we encourage communication and innovation.
Our strategy, performance and business priorities are communicated via the annual CEO Roadshow, our intranet sites, email, quarterly newsletters and regular employee meetings at all levels of the organisation.
The annual employee opinion survey provides all employees the opportunity to anonymously provide their feedback to executive and senior management regarding the business. This year we introduced a technology driven survey, with enhanced analytics to target high impact opportunities to drive meaningful change.
- This year’s employee opinion survey response rate achieved the 70% goal set for 2018.
- We have introduced changes such as charitable giving and improved bonus scheme in response to the 2017 EOS results.
Wellbeing in 2019
This year’s focus has been on our internal communication regarding employee wellbeing. Our goal has been to raise awareness of the benefits of physical and mental health in the workplace. To the left is an example of our employees receiving a presentation on heart health from a local doctor.
- Offer healthy lifestyle and financial support as a way of safeguarding the health and wellbeing of employees
What we do
- Global wellness challenges for all employees.
- Support employees to get active outside of working hours by providing changing room facilities and gym discounts
- All UK employees are entitled to the Share Incentive Plan whilst US employees can join the Employee Stock Purchase plan.
- 2018 Global wellness challenges included healthy food options in the canteen, free fruit and health quizzes.
- A group of HPW employees have been attending weekly circuit training sessions run by staff members (pictured).
- The launch of Medicash at UK sites which helps employees pay for everyday healthcare bills
- Weekly wellness tips on our intranet.
Community in 2019
We aim to work with and for the communities in which we operate, recognising our role as a major employer. We strive to contribute to our local economic, social and environmental sustainability; support our employees, their friends and families, alongside charitable organisations important to our communities. We continued with our charitable giving programme which aims to support the charities and organisations that our employees care about most.
2018 marked 100 years since the end of World War 1. Employees at our Melksham facility remembered the Avon Rubber and Spencer Moulton employees who lost their lives in service by planting a tree for each life. A total of 121 trees were planted.
- We aim to work with and for the communities in which we operate, recognising our role as a major employer.
- We seek to contribute to our local economic, social and environmental sustainability.
- Support our employees, their friends, families and charitable organisations.
- We recognise and support our employees that are serving and those from service families.
What we do
- During the year, our charitable giving policy was released enabling the Group to support via three different methods: match funding, grant support and one off donations.
- Opportunities for employees to establish relationships with each other outside of their day to day job.
- Our #thinkSTEM campaign is committed to addressing the issue of skills shortage in science, technology, engineering and maths careers.
- This year we have had 54 requests for funding and donated £39,000 across our sites to charities between September 2017 and September 2018.
- Creating a community at work through cake bakes, food bank donations and charity runs.
- Our #thinkSTEM ambassadors attended several local events.
- A #thinkSTEM event was held at HPW and hosted 30 girls from local schools.
- Cadillac employees raised £8,172 for United Way which was match funded by Avon.
Training and Development in 2019
We want to attract, retain and develop talented individuals to safeguard our business. We strive to provide an environment that offers the right training and development by providing a combination of formal training opportunities and on the job experiences.
What we have done
- Global e-learning platform for all employees.
- Global Leadership Programme (GLP) for individuals identified as having the potential to be future leaders.
- Our Global Professional Development Programme (PDP) provides a launch platform for career development.
- Numerous bespoke training courses were run for employees across all sites including Negotiation, and Capture management, which 80+ employees attended.
- We want to attract, retain and develop talented individuals to safeguard our business.
- We strive to provide an environment that offers the right training and development by providing a combination of formal training opportunities and on the job experiences.
What we do
- Global Leadership Programme for individuals identified as having the potential to be future leaders.
- Our Global Professional Development Programme provides a launch platform for career development
- Employees can apply for training grants for qualifications they wish to work towards.
- Placement students within our US and UK engineering teams help us tackle real-world engineering problems
- Graduate recruitment scheme which is based on a two year ‘work and learn’ programme.
- The Global Professional Development Programme was held in March
- Albinea’s team leaders had the opportunity to take part in a team building experience (pictured)
- A number of placement students have taken up full-time employment with the Group.
- The Graduate scheme is now in its fourth year and two new graduates started in September.
- A range of training courses have taken place across the sites including Level 3 Leadership, Excel, Word and Train the Trainer.